Sunday, April 7, 2013

Homemade Healthy Snack Pouches


With 4 kids (ages 1, 2, 5 & 7), convenience is key. I love the little baby food pouches because my youngest can self-feed relatively mess free and because they contain all kinds of healthy foods she needs. They are easy to grab on the go and stuff in a diaper bag. The problem is these pouches cost on average around $1.50 each which adds up fast. The rest of my kids also go through snacks like applesauce and yogurt like crazy.


So, today I decided to try saving some money and making my own pouches. I spent $42 on supplies (Infantino Squeeze Station and pouches), about $25 on food, and made 50 pouches. I have already paid for the cost of equipment, and will save much more with the next batch since I will only pay the cost of food (and occasionally will need to reorder pouches since they are not designed to be reused often).


Here are the recipes for what I made today. I was thrilled that even my picky 5 and 7 year old's approved the taste test. Portions are approximate since I didn't really measure closely along the way. These will work great for older babies (1yr+), toddlers and children. Any high speed blender or food processor will do. I used a Bella Rocket Blender.

Ingredients
1 bag (16oz) frozen peaches (boiled in hot water & strained)
1 bag (16oz) frozen carrots (boiled in hot water & strained)
1 bag (16oz) frozen spinach (boiled in hot water & strained)
1 bag (16oz) frozen strawberries (boiled in hot water & strained)
1 bag (24oz) frozen blueberries (boiled in hot water & strained)
1 jar (46oz) natural unsweetened apple sauce
1 box (8oz) whole wheat baby cereal 
1 box (8oz) mixed grain baby cereal
1 tub (32oz) vanilla yogurt
cinnamon
honey
cherry juice
grape juice


Batch #1: Peaches & Carrots
Made apx. 16 pouches total
For each 16 oz blender cup* I used about:
1/3 cup peaches
1/3 cup carrots
1/3 cup yogurt
1/4 cup cherry juice
2 tbsp whole wheat cereal
1 tps honey
*Repeated about 3 times or until fruit was used up

Batch #2: Berries & Spinach

Made apx. 22 pouches total
For each 16 oz blender cup* I used about:
1/4 cup blueberries
1/4 cup strawberries
1/4 cup spinach
1/3 cup yogurt
1/4 cup grape juice
2 tbsp mixed grain cereal
1 tps honey
*Repeated about 3 times or until fruit was used up

Batch #3: Apple Sauce
Made apx. 12 pouches
Sprinkled cinnamon in the apple sauce, stirred & poured directly into squeeze station. Repeated until jar was empty.









No comments:

Post a Comment